Posted: 28 Sep 2020
Work is continuing safely on Victoria’s Big Build, our biggest transport upgrade ever.
Construction on large-scale public infrastructure projects is critical and is continuing with strict COVIDsafe Plans in place on all project sites across Victoria.
There will be an increase of workers on Victoria’s Big Build projects as construction site restrictions ease and more permitted workers can return.
The health and safety of our workforce and community remains our top priority. Workers on all of Victoria’s Big Build sites are required to wear face masks unless they meet any of the criteria for exception – such as a medical condition or for Occupational Health and Safety guidelines.
Physical distancing measures are in place as well as increased hygiene practices.
Second step restrictions – metropolitan Melbourne
Under the current Second Step restrictions in metro Melbourne, there are still only four reasons to leave home, and you need to stay local (within 5km from home):
- shop for food and necessary goods or services
- provide care, for compassionate reasons or to seek medical treatment
- outdoor exercise or recreation
- for permitted work or education.
Third step restrictions summary – regional Victoria
Regional Victoria has reached the Third Step as part of the roadmap to reopening. There are no restrictions on the reasons for leaving home or distances travelled, although you can’t travel into areas with higher restrictions without a permit.
Information for those who need to travel
When using public transport or replacement buses for essential reasons:
- Everyone must wear a mask, unless an exemption applies.
- Extra cleaning is being carried out on all bus replacement services to keep passengers and staff safe. All services, stops and stations are being disinfected and sanitised every day.
- Commuters are being asked to practise good hygiene while using public transport. Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you travel. Sneeze or cough into a tissue, or the inside of your elbow. If you are unwell, stay at home.
- Passengers are being reminded to keep their distance where they can, and try travelling outside peak times when less people are using the network. When using escalators, try to stand four steps away from the person in front and avoid walking up or down.
For more information and advice about the coronavirus (COVID-19), please visit coronavirus.vic.gov.au.
More project news