Avon River Bridge Upgrade
Major construction is continuing on the new Avon River rail bridge to allow trains to travel at up to 90km/h and improve reliability on the Gippsland Line.
12.01am Thursday 2 January to 11.59pm Wednesday 15 January 2020
Coaches will replace trains between Bairnsdale and Southern Cross Station from Thursday 2 January to Thursday 30 January for works on the Avon River Bridge and Metro Tunnel Project.
Drainage structure upgrades and track maintenance will also take place along the Gippsland Line. Thanks for your patience while this important work is underway.
What we are doing
We will be undertaking major construction on the new Avon River rail bridge, including:
- Track works to prepare the track to connect to the new bridge. This includes cutting rail and removing sleepers and ballast
- Laying new rail track including ballast and sleepers, compacting and welding
- Non-Destructive Digging to locate existing services
- Earthworks on both banks of the Avon River.
What to be aware of
- Vehicles, machinery and workers near the McAlister Street level crossing, on local roads and within the rail corridor
- Increased noise, day and night
- Vibrations may be felt during track works
- Dust generation. Where necessary, water carts will be used
- Lighting will be directed away from residences where possible
- Site deliveries and staff movements around the three site compounds.
McAlister Street level crossing temporary closure
The McAlister Street level crossing between McFarlane Street and Princes Highway will be closed to traffic from 6.00am Friday 3 January until 3.00pm Tuesday 14 January. Residents living on McAlister Street will still have access to their properties.
Traffic management and detours will be in place:
- Eastbound traffic: Hobson Street to McFarlane Street
- Westbound traffic: McFarlane Street to Hobson Street.
Plan your journey
For more information about V/Line coach replacement services while trains are not running between Thursday 2 January to Thursday 30 January 2020, contact the Public Transport Victoria call centre:
1800 800 007 (6am to midnight daily – all night Friday and Saturday) or visit the V/Line website.