The Gippsland Line Upgrade will deliver improved train services to the growing communities of Gippsland and create hundreds of jobs in the region.
What will happen?
The Gippsland Line Upgrade includes:
- building a new rail bridge over the Avon River in Stratford, which is now complete
- second platforms and station amenity works at Bunyip, Longwarry, Morwell and Traralgon stations
- track duplication between Bunyip and Longwarry
- extension of Morwell crossing loop
- level crossing upgrades
- signalling upgrades
- drainage structure upgrades along the line.
What are the benefits?
The project has already delivered benefits for passengers on the Gippsland line, with upgrades to level crossings between Sale and Bairnsdale allowing VLocity trains to run to Bairnsdale for the first time.
The Gippsland Line Upgrade will enable much needed extra off-peak services as track duplication, a crossing loop extension and second platforms at stations will provide more opportunities for trains to pass each other.
Improvements to accessibility and amenities at these stations will also be made to give passengers better journeys.
Train detection upgrades at level crossings along the line will improve safety for motorists and train passengers.
Upgrades to drainage structures will mean trains can continue to operate efficiently and improve infrastructure resilience along the Gippsland line.
The project will create more than 400 jobs and Rail Projects Victoria will establish a local project office in the Latrobe Valley. The project will also create opportunities for local social and Aboriginal contractors and suppliers, boosting the local economy.
Focusing on local jobs in Gippsland [transcript]
What are the next steps?
Planning and design work is underway, with Rail Projects Victoria completing more than 12 months of investigations and rail assessments to inform the delivery and construction of the project.
Construction of the new rail bridge over the Avon River has been completed three months ahead of schedule, with trains now travelling on the new structure.
We have selected VicConnect – a consortium comprising UGL Limited, Decmil and Arup – as the preferred contractor to design and build the Gippsland Line Upgrade’s major package of works between Pakenham and Traralgon.
The consortium will undertake early works on the project over the coming months, including site investigations, procurement, engineering and design.
Have your say
In early 2019, we asked the community to provide feedback on the Gippsland Line Upgrade.
The community provided feedback on the track, signalling and station amenity upgrades between Pakenham and Traralgon.
The feedback received is being considered in the planning and design of the Gippsland Line Upgrade.
Who is responsible?
The Gippsland Line Upgrade is being delivered by Rail Projects Victoria on behalf of the Victorian Government.
- Download the Gippsland Line Upgrade Spring 2020 construction update PDF, 1.0 MB
- Download the Gippsland Line Upgrade Summer 2019 construction update PDF, 2.3 MB
- Download the Gippsland Line Upgrade Spring 2019 newsletter PDF, 3.5 MB
- Download the Gippsland Line Upgrade fact sheet PDF, 272.0 KB
- Subscribe to our email newsletter for Gippsland Line Upgrade updates