We are upgrading Waurn Ponds Station as part of the $160 million investment in the Geelong Line.
A new platform and extra track at Waurn Ponds Station will create enough space for trains to pass each other, allowing more Geelong services to be extended to and from Waurn Ponds and helping to improve service reliability.
Station users will have new and improved car parking and an accessible overpass linking both platforms.
The Waurn Ponds Station upgrade includes:
- a second platform on the south side of the station with shelters and seating
- track duplication to enable trains to pass each other
- a new accessible pedestrian overpass to provide access between the two platforms featuring lifts, ramps and stairs
- secure bicycle storage and bicycle hoops
- car park improvements featuring:
- more than 90 new car parking spaces
- sealing 120 existing gravel car parking spaces
- more accessible car parking
- new drop-off zone
- access at both ends of the car park
- additional CCTV, lighting, myki machines and passenger information displays.
What are the next steps?
From Monday 15 June, contractor Downer will begin to set up the work site at Waurn Ponds Station to prepare for the start of construction in late June.
Construction on the station upgrade is targeted for completion in late 2021.
Muir Road closure
To ensure the safety of workers, pedestrians and cyclists during construction we need to close public access to Muir Road from 8am Monday 15 June. See current works for more information.
What we heard
In early 2019 we spoke to the local community about concept designs for the Waurn Ponds Station upgrade.
The community also gave us feedback on the additional track and new platform, CCTV and lighting, and car park improvements at Waurn Ponds Station.
The responses provided were considered in the planning and design of the upgrade for the Waurn Ponds Station upgrade.