Coaches replace trains between Warrnambool and Geelong from Saturday 10 April to last train Sunday 18 April. Buses replace trains between Waurn Pond and Marshall stations, except for some peak services which will be replaced by buses between Waurn Ponds and Geelong. To plan your journey visit the PTV website or call 1800 800 007.
The Australian and Victorian governments are investing more than $1 billion in rail upgrades between Geelong and Waurn Ponds to deliver more frequent and reliable services for passengers on the state’s busiest regional line.
What will happen?
The staged upgrades to the Geelong Line include:
- Waurn Ponds Station upgrade including:
- a second platform and track
- accessible pedestrian overpass
- extra car parking.
- A new train maintenance and stabling facility at Waurn Ponds.
- Planning for the Armstrong Creek transit corridor, to consider future land use and population plans for this growing community.
- South Geelong to Waurn Ponds Duplication including:
- duplicating key sections of track between South Geelong and Waurn Ponds
- upgrades at South Geelong and Marshall stations
- level crossing removals at Fyans Street and Surf Coast Highway
- signalling upgrades between South Geelong and Waurn Ponds.
- A business case to determine the infrastructure required to deliver even more services, including upgrades to the rail tunnel between Geelong and south Geelong and the rail line over the Barwon River.
Geelong Fast Rail
Fast rail to Geelong is also being delivered by Rail Projects Victoria. For more information on this project visit the Rail Projects Victoria website.
Why are we investing in Geelong’s rail network?
Geelong is Victoria’s fastest growing regional city.
Geelong’s population is expected to grow by almost 50 per cent to approximately 485,000 by 2051, and patronage on the Geelong Line has tripled since the opening of Regional Rail Link in 2015.
The community of Greater Geelong needs a fast, efficient and reliable rail service to support its development as Victoria’s second biggest city. The Geelong Line is the fastest growing and busiest line on the regional rail network.
Who is responsible?
The staged upgrade of the Geelong Line is being delivered by Rail Projects Victoria (RPV), on behalf of the Victorian Government.
Downer has been awarded the contract to design and build the Waurn Ponds Station upgrade and Stage 1 of the Waurn Ponds stabling facility.
Find out more about supplier opportunities for the upgrade of the Geelong Line.
As the project progresses, we will keep passengers and the community updated via information sessions, letterbox drops, e-newsletters, advertising, website updates, social media and station pop-ups.