Regional Rail Revival has partnered with Bendigo Tech School, the Bendigo Discovery Science & Technology Centre and the Goldfields Local Learning and Employment Network to develop Design Challenge 2050; a team-based competition for school students in the Bendigo region.
What is the challenge?
The challenge will ask school students in Years 5 to 8 at schools on the Bendigo and Echuca Line for their ideas on the future of public transport, and to consider the question: What does the smart and connected city of 2050 look like?
The competition’s themes are:
- Technology or app-driven transport solution e.g. helping passengers to plan their onward journey
- Communications campaign e.g. promoting safety by design
- Product prototype e.g. a revolutionary train seat
- Building or system design e.g. the railway station of the future.
The challenge process
Following an Online Challenge Immersion Day event on 19 October, the design challenge will be delivered in schools. Bendigo Tech School will offer guided learning hours and mentoring workshops to support the students to develop their idea through a design-thinking approach.
Shortlisted teams will pitch their proposals to a panel of rail experts, who will judge the winners. There will be great prizes on offer for winning teams and schools.
The Challenge Immersion Day, which was scheduled to be held at Bendigo Discovery Centre, will not go ahead due to COVID-19 restrictions. The organisers will now deliver a 90 minute, Challenge Immersion Session online for participating schools.
We understand the need to be flexible at this time and have contingencies in place to adapt the terms and conditions of challenge for remote delivery if required. We will keep you informed as the situation unfolds.
- Read our Teacher information sheet PDF, 111.6 KB, Design challenge overview (PDF, 110.2 KB) and Design challenge rules PDF, 181.2 KB for all the details about this exciting pilot design competition.
- Download the printable poster PDF, 317.2 KB or A4 flyer PDF, 307.0 KB and start promoting the event at your school!
- In the lead-up to the challenge, you can get your students thinking about careers in rail and STEAM with our Design challenge student resources (PDF, 160.7 KB).
- Participating schools and students will receive more resources as the challenge progresses.
Contact Bendigo Tech School
Telephone: 03 5444 7113