Ballan Station and passing loop works
Throughout October, construction works will continue at the station and on the new forecourt, bus bays and car parking.
WHAT WE ARE DOING
Monday to Saturday 7am – 6pm throughout October
The following works will take place in the rail corridor and within the station precinct:
- Northern car park and bus bay rebuild which includes earthworks, laying of asphalt and kerbing, line marking, new lighting and landscaping
- Southern car park construction including building the new entrance onto Walsh Street
- Continued construction activities on the new pedestrian overpass, ramps, stairs and southern platform
- Service relocation and proofing throughout the station precinct
- Drainage improvement works throughout the station precinct and within the Atkinson Street road reserve.
Changes to car park
Alternative car parking is available at the corner of Atkinson and Cowie Street for station users while the rebuild of the northern forecourt, car parks and bus bays are underway.
These works are planned to be completed by mid-November.
In early October, a completed stage of the northern car park will be available for station users to minimise disruption.
This temporary disruption to parking will allow us to fast-track completion of the car park works at Ballan Station. We would like to thank station users for their patience while this work is underway.
Ballan passing loop
- Drainage installation along Stead Street and near the Windle Street level crossing
- Earthworks involving movement of stockpiles within the rail corridor
- Underground service installation along the rail corridor.
OUT-OF-HOURS WORKS AND DELIVERIES
Some work activities and deliveries may be undertaken out of hours at work sites and in the northern car park.
For disruptive works, directly impacted residents and businesses will be notified in advance.
WHAT TO BE AWARE OF
- Site deliveries and staff movements around the station precinct and site construction zones
- Temporary pedestrian detours around work areas
- Machinery and workers in car park areas, near level crossings, on local roads and within the rail corridor
- Dust generation. Where necessary, water carts will be used for dust suppression
- Increased noise around the station precinct and rail corridor
- Vibration may be felt during car park construction works due to machinery.
No impacts to existing services to your property are expected from our project works.
Where possible we will minimise disruption to residents in the following ways:
- Scheduling noisy works during normal working hours where possible
- Using broadband reversing alarms on mobile machinery that are quieter than reversing ‘beepers’
- Using noise-reduced equipment.
We will notify residents and businesses if there are any significant changes to the program.
All planned works are dependent on suitable weather and ground conditions.
Windle Street level crossing and Walsh Street car park entrance Windle Street level crossing will need to be closed to undertake road and drainage improvements in the coming weeks.
At Walsh Street, to complete the new southern car park entrance, there will also be a short-term closure for traffic.
Directly impacted residents and businesses will be notified in advance before the closures and road signage will be in
Changed traffic conditions and reduced speed limits
Traffic management will be in place for the safety of workers and the public at the following locations:
- Ingliston Road
- Windle Street
- Walsh Street
- Stead Street (currently closed pending drainage improvements)
- Cowie Street
- Atkinson Street
- Old Geelong Road
- Geelong-Ballan Road.
Residents and businesses will be notified in advance if road access changes.
PLAN YOUR JOURNEY
Throughout October, there are times when coaches will replace trains on parts of the Ballarat line. For more information about V/Line services, please contact:1800 800 007 (6am to midnight daily – all night Friday and Saturday) or visit vline.com.au
Thank you for your patience as we undertaken these critical works on the Ballarat line.