Ballan Station and passing loop works
We are upgrading Ballan Station as well as building a new passing loop generally to the south of the existing rail line between Ingliston Road and Old Melbourne Road.
In late March, the new pedestrian overpass at Ballan Station was installed and significant progress was made for the station upgrade and track construction. Throughout April, works will continue to upgrade the station and build the passing loop.
What we are doing
Monday to Saturday 7am – 6pm throughout April
During normal working hours, we will be undertaking the following works in the rail corridor and station precinct including:
- Construction of the new platform and new track works
- Earthworks in preparation for the new car park on the south side
- Underground service installation in the existing station car park and along the southern side of the precinct
- Minor tree and vegetation removal as needed for underground service installation
- Earthworks and underground service installation along various sections of the rail corridor
- Drainage works from Stead Street to Windle Street.
Out-of-hours works and deliveries
Some work activities and deliveries may be undertaken out of hours at work sites.
For disruptive works, directly impacted residents and businesses will be notified in advance.
What to be aware of
- Site deliveries and staff movements around the station precinct and site construction zones
- Vehicles, machinery and workers near level crossings, on local roads and within the rail corridor
- Dust generation. Where necessary, water carts will be used for dust suppression
- Increased noise around the station precinct and rail corridor
- No impacts to existing services to your property are expected from our project works.
Changed traffic conditions and reduced speed limits
Traffic management will be in place for the safety of workers and the general public at the following level crossings and roads as rail and construction machinery operate in the area:
- Ingliston Road level crossing
- Windle Street level crossing
- Cowie Street level crossing
- Stead Street
- Geelong-Ballan Road level crossing
- Old Geelong Road level crossing.
Changes to the Ballan Station car park
There will be further changes to the car parking at Ballan Station in April.
Additional temporary car parking space will be available at the west end of the station and accessible from Atkinson Street.
Station users can also use the temporary car parking spaces that have been made available on the corner of Cowie Street and Atkinson Street.
Where possible we will minimise disruption to residents in the following ways:
- Scheduling noisy works during normal working hours where possible
- Using broadband reversing alarms on mobile machinery that are quieter than reversing ‘beepers’
- Using noise-reduced equipment.
We will notify residents and businesses if there are any significant changes to the program.
All planned works are dependent on suitable weather and ground conditions.