Ballan Station and passing loop works
Coaches will replace trains on the Ballarat line from Saturday 9 November until Sunday 1 December. Trains will resume from the first service on Monday 2 December 2019.
During this time we’ll carry out works along the entire Ballarat line, including track duplication, station upgrades
and critical safety testing. Thanks for your patience while this important work is underway.
What we are doing
Ballan passing loop
We will be undertaking the following major works on the Ballan passing loop from Ingliston to Bostock Reservoir:
- Moving existing stockpiles throughout the rail corridor
- Constructing new drainage from Stead Street to Ingliston Road
- Laying new rail track including ballast and sleepers, tampering and welding
- Significant heavy vehicle and machinery movements in the rail corridor and on local roads.
The new northern car park and bus bays will be open to station users from 9 November.
We’ll be undertaking the following major works on the station upgrade:
- Completion works on the new pedestrian overpass, ramps, stairs, lifts and southern platform
- Landscaping in the car park and station areas
- Drainage improvement works throughout the station precinct and within the Atkinson Street road reserve.
What to be aware of
- Vehicles, machinery and workers near level crossings, on local roads, and within the rail corridor
- Dust generation. Where necessary, water carts will be used
- Increased noise, day and night
- Vibrations may be felt during track works
- Cutting and welding of rail track, day and night
- Site deliveries and staff movements around the station precinct and site construction areas
- Test trains operating along the line.
Windle Street level crossing closure
From Saturday 23 November until Sunday 1 December, the Windle Street level crossing will be temporarily closed to complete drainage works and roadworks on the approaches.
Stead Street will be opened from Friday 22 November.
Traffic management and reduced speed limits may be in place for the safety of workers and the public at the following locations:
- Ingliston Road
- Windle Street
- Walsh Street
- Stead Street
- Cowie Street
- Atkinson Street
- Old Geelong Road
- Geelong-Ballan Road.
Where possible we will minimise disruption to residents in the following ways:
- Using broadband reversing alarms on mobile machinery that are quieter than reversing ‘beepers’
- Using noise reducing equipment
- Directing lighting away from residences
- Using machinery on lower vibration settings near residential property.
We will notify residents and businesses if there are any significant changes to the program.
All planned works are dependent on suitable weather and ground conditions.
Plan your journey
For more information about V/Line coach replacement services while trains are not running between Saturday 9 November and Sunday 1 December, contact the Public Transport Victoria call centre: 1800 800 007 (6am to midnight daily – all night Friday and Saturday) or visit vline.com.au