March works blitz for the Ballarat Line Upgrade
Posted: 26 Feb 2019
Work is ramping up on the half-a-billion-dollar Ballarat Line Upgrade, with coaches replacing trains in late March while a nine-day construction blitz is underway.
While trains are not running on the line, crews will be:
- laying track for the four-kilometre Millbrook passing loop
- building platforms and the overpass for the new Cobblebank Station
- working on station upgrades at Ballan, Bacchus Marsh and Rockbank
- installing major underground drainage between Melton and Caroline Springs
- building footings for signalling gantries at Ballan and Millbrook.
Coaches will replace trains for the entire journey between Wendouree, Ballarat and Southern Cross Station from the evening of Friday 22 March to Sunday 31 March so crews can complete the work safely and efficiently.
On Saturday 23 and Sunday 24 March, coaches will replace Ararat trains for the entire journey. Maryborough trains will continue to run to and from Ballarat, connecting with coaches to and from Southern Cross Station.
Passengers can plan their trip on the V/Line website or by calling 1800 800 007. A temporary timetable will be available at staffed stations and online closer to the time.
There’s been a huge amount of progress on the project already this year, and more than 700,000 hours worked since construction began in late 2017.
This essential construction is the next step in delivering more frequent and reliable services for passengers on the Ballarat line.