Rockbank station works - Monthly works update - March 2018
In June, we will be undertaking further investigation works around Bacchus Marsh Station to prepare for the station upgrade.
What we are doing
Monday to Saturday 7am-6pm, March
Hopkins Road – Mt Cottrell Road, Rockbank
During normal working hours a range of works will continue including:
- Geotechnical investigations to help us further understand local ground conditions
- Utility relocation works to install conduits so vital rail signalling services remain operational during rail duplication
- Access track improvements, to enable our workers and equipment to move freely and safely along the rail corridor to undertake works
- Major earthworks for rail track formation in areas where safety barriers have been installed
- Gate and sign installation at level crossings for the safety of our workers
We have designed the upgraded Rockbank station, and planned our construction to retain existing trees on the south side of the station. This includes dead trees that we have identified as providing habitat for native animals. As a result, we won’t be removing any trees in this location at this stage.
We will be building a site compound within Rockbank station. The compound will be used to support the upcoming works in the area, and will contain site offices, amenities, construction materials, machinery and equipment.
Changes to car parking
To upgrade the station, we will need to temporarily relocate the current car parking area to the west of the station. There will be no reduction in car park spaces.
A pedestrian path will be provided between the temporary car parking area and the southern platform (platform 1).
We will also need to close access to the carpark on the northern side, as this will be where the new station carpark will be built.
Pedestrian access between platform 1 and Leakes Road will be provided via a temporary path. Pedestrian access to the northern platform (platform 2) is via the pedestrian level crossing from platform 1.
Changes to platforms
There will be some minor changes to platforms to allow us to safely upgrade the station:
- Extension of the rear fence on platform 2.
- Reduction in width of platform 1
Both platforms will remain open.
What to be aware of
- Trucks, light vehicles and machinery entering and exiting Rockbank station and level crossings along the rail corridor
- Noise impacts associated with machinery.
- These works will require temporary traffic management changes to Leakes Road and other level crossings, and may include speed reductions and traffic controllers during working hours adjacent to the work site.
- Vehicle and cyclist access will be maintained at all times on local roads
- Access to private properties and businesses will be maintained at all times
Works will begin in the week of 13 March to prepare for the temporary car parking and pedestrian changes, which are expected to be in place in early April.
On site signage will advise of these changes, and assist drivers and pedestrians to safely access the car parking areas and platforms. We expect to reopen the upgraded station in early 2019.
During construction, we will maintain train services to and from Rockbank station as much as practicable. However, we will need to close the station at times to safely carry out major works. During these times, buses will operate for commuters.
Prior to rail line closures we will provide further advice and notifications to ensure that you can plan your journey.