Caroline Springs to Melton - Monthly works notification - June 2018
Throughout June, we will be continuing works for the new track from Caroline Springs Station to Melton, Rockbank Station rebuild works and works on the new rail bridge across Toolern Creek.
What we are doing
The installation of safety fencing has enabled us to continue most of our works while maintaining train services during the busiest times.
The rail closure will enable us to undertake critical works that can only occur when train services are not running.
Monday to Saturday 7am – 6pm throughout June
During normal working hours, a range of works will be undertaken in this area:
- Locating underground services and undertaking soil sampling
- Utility relocation works to install conduits so vital rail signalling services remain operational throughout our works
- Earthworks for the new track
- Rockbank station rebuild
- Toolern Creek rail bridge works including piling and earthworks.
Continuous 24 hours works - 12:01am Saturday 16 June 11.59pm Wednesday 20 June
We will be closing the Ballarat Line after the last service on Friday 15 June so we can safely undertake the following works:
- Stormwater concrete culvert installations between Hopkins Road and Troups Road North, Rockbank
- Relocation of water services at Troups, Ferris and Exford roads level crossings
- Installation of new track turnouts between Ferris Road and Toolern Creek, and Coburns Road and Melton reservoir which will be used to move trains from the existing track to the new track
- Level crossing works at Mt Cottrell Road to prepare for the new track
- Vegetation removal at Rockbank Station to enable the station rebuild.
Continuous works will be complete and regular train services will resume from the first service on Thursday 21 June.
What to be aware of
- Trucks, light vehicles, machinery and workers near level crossings, on local roads and within the rail corridor
- Low levels of dust, and where necessary, water carts will be used for dust suppression
- Lighting during night works- light will be directed away from residences
- Access to residences and businesses will be maintained at all times
- No impacts to existing services to your property are expected.
We will minimise the disruption to local residents by using broadband reversing alarms on mobile machinery and equipment where possible. These alarms are quieter than the standard reversing beepers used on most construction sites. We will also use noise reduced plant and equipment, and schedule noisy works during normal working hours where possible.
We will notify residents and businesses if there are any significant changes to the program.
All planned works are dependent on suitable weather and ground conditions.
- These works will require traffic management changes at times, including temporary speed and lane reductions at and around the following locations:
- Hopkins Road level crossing
- Troups Road North level crossing
- Leakes Road level crossing
- Mt Cottrell Road level crossing
- Ferris Road level crossing
- Exford Road level crossing
- Coburns Road level crossing
- Abey Road and Brooklyn Road.
- Track machines and test trains will continue to run along the rail tracks during the line closure, so always obey the warning signs at level crossings and take care around trains
- Vehicle and cyclist access will be maintained at all times on local roads.
Plan your journey
For more information about V/Line coach replacement services while trains are not running, contact the Public Transport Victoria call centre:
- 1800 800 007 (6am to midnight daily - all night Friday and Saturday)
- or visit vline.com.au