Caroline Springs to Melton - Monthly works notification - August 2018
Throughout August, we will be continuing works for the new track from Caroline Springs Station to Melton, including earthworks, Rockbank Station upgrade and the new rail bridge across Toolern Creek.
What we are doing
Monday to Saturday 7am – 6pm throughout August
During normal working hours a range of works will be undertaken in this area:
- Regular deliveries of rail sleepers at various locations along the rail corridor
- Works on a new retaining wall west of Coburns Road level crossing
- Stormwater drainage installation at various locations along the rail corridor
- Utility relocation works within the rail corridor
- Earthworks between Caroline Springs Station and Exford Road, and Coburns Road and Melton Reservoir for the new rail track
- Rockbank Station rebuild including service relocation and earthworks
- Toolern Creek rail bridge works
- Water main relocation works in the road reserve north of Troups Road level crossing.
Temporary closure at Mt Cottrell Road level crossing from Monday 13 August to Friday 31 August
To prepare for the installation of the duplicated rail track the following detours will be in place during these works:
- Eastbound traffic to Thornhill Park Estate should travel along the Western Highway and U-turn at the Leakes Road interchange
- Northbound traffic to Thornhill Park Estate should travel along Greigs Road, Leakes Road and the Western Highway.
Residences and businesses in the local area will be provided with further information prior to the commencement of these works.
See the Mt Cottrell Road level crossing notification for more details.
What to be aware of
- Vehicles, machinery and workers near level crossings, on local roads and within the rail corridor
- Low levels of dust are expected to be generated while these works take place. Where necessary, water carts will be used for dust suppression
- Lighting during continuous works will be directed away from residences
- Access to residences and businesses will be maintained at all times
- No impacts to existing services to your property are expected. Residents will be notified in advance if water main works are likely to cause temporary disruptions to water supply.
We will minimise the disruption to local residents by using broadband reversing alarms on mobile machinery and equipment where possible. These alarms are quieter than the standard reversing beepers used on most construction sites. We will also use noise reduced machinery and equipment, and schedule noisy works during normal working hours where possible.
We will notify residents and businesses if there are any significant changes to the program. All planned works are dependent on suitable weather and ground conditions.
These works will require traffic management changes at times, including temporary speed and lane reductions at and around the following locations:
- Hopkins Road level crossing
- Troups Road North level crossing
- Leakes Road level crossing
- Paynes Road level crossing
- Ferris Road level crossing
- Exford Road level crossing
- Coburns Road level crossing
- Abey Road and Brooklyn Road.
Ongoing temporary changes to pedestrian access at James Melrose Drive will continue throughout August.
Traffic management may be used to direct traffic and pedestrians safely around the work sites. Please obey any signage on site.
Track machines and test trains will continue to run along the rail tracks during the line closure, so always obey the warning signs at level crossings and take care around trains.
Vehicle and cyclist access will be maintained at all times on local roads.