Ballan Station and passing loop - Monthly works notification
In October, works will commence on the construction of the Ballan Station upgrade and the tracks for the new passing loop between Ingliston Road and Old Melbourne Road.
What we are doing
We are upgrading Ballan Station as well as building the new passing loop generally to the south of the existing rail line and installing new underground services.
Monday to Saturday - 7am – 6pm throughout October
Throughout October we will be undertaking the following works:
- Track formation works for the foundation of the new tracks
- Temporary car park for workers will be established on land near the Cowie Street level crossing
- Underground signalling installation via trenching on the north side of the track
- Earthworks and drainage works to enable access and construction. Lime will be added to the soil to dry it out and make it easier to handle.
- Barrier and fencing installation for the safety of workers and to enable train services to continue uninterrupted
- Stockpiling of clean soil on the north side of the track between Ingliston Road and Stead Street and near the Geelong-Ballan Road level crossing
- Retaining wall construction for track support between Ingliston Road and Stead Street
- Vegetation removed or trimmed to enable works and vehicle access in the rail corridor between Ingliston Road and Geelong-Ballan Road
- Deliveries of construction materials to level crossings, either side of the track.
What to be aware of
During the line closure and normal work hours, residents should be aware of:
- Trucks, light vehicles, machinery and workers in the general area and within the rail corridor
- Low levels of dust, and where necessary, water carts will be used for dust suppression
- Access to residences and businesses will be maintained at all times
- These works will involve some large machinery operating in the corridor and moving consistently in and around the work areas.
We will minimise disruption to local residents by using broadband reversing alarms on mobile machinery and equipment where possible. These alarms are quieter than the standard reversing beepers used on most construction sites. We will also use noise reduced machinery and equipment, and schedule noisy works during normal working hours where possible.
All these works are happening within the rail corridor, however, there will be an increase in vehicle movements in and around the construction areas, including level crossings.
There will be some works taking place at and near several level crossings as we install utilities.
Affected level crossings include:
- Ingliston Rd
- Windle St
- Cowie St
- Old Geelong Rd
- Geelong-Ballan Rd.
Traffic management will be required at times to direct pedestrians and traffic safely at some of the level crossings.
Track machines and test trains will continue to run along the rail track during the line closure, so always obey the warning signs at level crossings and take care around trains.