Ballan passing loop - Monthly works notification - June 2018
In June, works will continue on the new Ballan passing loop between Ingliston Road and Old Melbourne Road.
What we are doing
We will be building the new passing loop to the south of the existing rail line and installing new underground services. The new infrastructure will be located within the rail corridor.
Our worksite compound will soon be established on private land for the construction of this vital infrastructure.
Monday to Saturday 7am – 6pm throughout June
Throughout June we will be undertaking the following works:
- Underground services identification and location marking
This activity will involve non-destructive digging techniques such as high-pressure water and vacuum to safely remove soil that is found around underground services, or locating access pits and using CCTV cameras to determine their internal condition. There will not be any significant vegetation removal during this process.
Continuous works - 12:01am Saturday 16 June - 11.59pm Wednesday 20 June
We will be closing the Ballarat Line after the last service on Friday 15 June so we can safely undertake the following works:
- Safety fence installation within the rail corridor from the Ingliston Road level crossing to east of the Bostock Reservoir
- Earthworks and soil testing at numerous locations along the corridor
The installation of safety fencing that delineates between the rail line and the work areas will enable ongoing works to continue without disrupting train services.
There will be earthworks taking place at various locations, some of which will involve clearing the rail corridor of the vegetation that was removed during the last line closure.
There will not be any significant vegetation removal during this process.
Continuous works will be complete and regular train services will resume from the first service on Thursday 21 June.
What to be aware of
- Trucks, light vehicles, machinery and workers in the general area and within the rail corridor
- Low levels of dust, and where necessary, water carts will be used for dust suppression
- Access to residences and businesses will be maintained at all times
- No impacts to existing services to your property are expected.
We will minimise the disruption to local residents by using broadband reversing alarms on mobile machinery and equipment where possible. These alarms are quieter than the standard reversing beepers used on most construction sites. We will also use noise reduced plant and equipment, and schedule noisy works during normal working hours where possible.
We will notify residents and businesses if there are any significant changes to the program.
All planned works are dependent on suitable weather and ground conditions.
- These works are happening within the rail corridor however there may be traffic management required at times to direct pedestrians and vehicles safely around locations at:
- Ingliston Road level crossing
- Windle Street level crossing
- Stead Street level crossing
- Cowie Street level crossing
- Old Geelong Road level crossing
- Geelong-Ballan Road level crossing.
Track machines and test trains will continue to run along the rail track during the line closure, so always obey the warning signs at level crossings and take care around trains
Vehicle and cyclist access will be maintained at all times on local roads.
Plan your journey
For more information about V/Line coach replacement services while trains are not running, contact the Public Transport Victoria call centre:
- 1800 800 007 (6am to midnight daily - all night Friday and Saturday)
- or visit vline.com.au