Ballan passing loop - Monthly works notification - August 2018
In August, works will continue on the new Ballan passing loop between Ingliston Road and Old Melbourne Road.
What we are doing
The new passing loop is being built to the south of the existing rail line. All the new infrastructure, including the new underground services, will be located within the rail corridor.
Monday to Saturday 7am – 6pm throughout August
During normal working hours a range of works will be undertaken in this area:
- Underground services identification and location marking.
This activity involves non-destructive digging techniques such as high-pressure water and vacuum to safely remove soil that is found around underground services, or locating access pits and using CCTV cameras to determine their internal condition. There will not be any significant vegetation removal during this process.
What to be aware of
- Vehicles, machinery and workers near level crossings, on local roads and within the rail corridor
- Low levels of dust, and where necessary, water carts will be used for dust suppression
- Lighting during night works will be directed away from residences
- Access to residences and businesses will be maintained at all times
- No impacts to existing services to your property are expected
We will minimise the disruption to local residents by using broadband reversing alarms on mobile machinery and equipment where possible. These alarms are quieter than the standard reversing beepers used on most construction sites.
We will also use noise reduced plant and equipment, and schedule noisy works during normal working hours where possible.
We will notify residents and businesses if there are any significant changes to the program. All works are dependent on suitable weather conditions for the respective activities.
These works will require traffic management changes, including temporary speed and lane reductions at and around the following locations:
- Cowie Street level crossing
- Geelong-Ballan Road level crossing.
Track machines and test trains will continue to run along the rail track during the line closure, so always obey the warning signs at level crossings and take care around trains.
Traffic management may be used to direct traffic and pedestrians safely around temporary work sites. Please obey any signage on site.
Vehicle and cyclist access will be maintained at all times on local roads.