Ballan Station and passing loop works
We are upgrading Ballan Station as well as building a new passing loop generally to the south of the existing rail line between Ingliston Road and Old Melbourne Road.
In readiness for the upgrade of Ballan Station, a construction site will be established on the north side of the station precinct.
These works will involve temporary disruptions to car parking and pedestrian access.
Monday 29 October – End November, Monday to Saturday 7am – 6pm
A centrally located work compound will be established in the existing car park, including:
- Site shed, first aid room and toilets for construction staff
- Construction car parking
- Fencing to separate work zones from the platform and other public areas.
This compound is in addition to the main compound site that has already been established and fenced on the south-side of the rail line at the east-end of the station.
During normal working hours the following works will be undertaken within the station precinct:
- Identification and relocation of services where required
- Excavation works for the foundations of the new overpass, ramps and platforms.
Car parking and access changes
A small number of car parks on the north side will be closed off to the public while the station upgrade works are undertaken.
Pedestrian detours will be in place with access to the platform maintained near and through the station building.
The access via the covered walkway will be closed during construction.
To minimise disruption to commuters, we will provide:
- Accessible parking to the west side of the station building
- Alternative car parking spaces west of the station, on the corner of Cowie Street and Atkinson Street
- Way-finding signage and a temporary footpath to assist people to navigate around the compound.
Pedestrian and car parking arrangements will change throughout the life of the station upgrade. There will be no reduction in car parking spaces due to these changes.
Passing loop works
Monday to Saturday - 7am – 6pm throughout November
During normal working hours the following works will be undertaken in this area:
- Earthworks and track formation works between Ingliston Road and Bostock Reservoir
- Retaining wall construction at various points on the south side of the track, east of Stead Street
- Stormwater drainage installation near Windle Street level crossing and at various locations along the corridor
- Underground cabling installation along the north side of track between Ingliston Road and Stead Street.
Additional traffic impacts
Some work activities require traffic management changes, including temporary speed and lane reductions at and around the following locations:
- Ballan Station
- Ingliston Road level crossing
- Windle Street level crossing
- Stead Street level crossing
- Cowie Street level crossing
- Old Geelong Road level crossing
- Geelong Ballan Road level crossing.
Traffic management may be used to control and direct traffic and pedestrians around work sites. For your safety please obey directions and any signage at or near work areas.
What to be aware of
- Vehicles, machinery and workers at Ballan Station and entering/exiting the rail corridor at the level crossings in the project area
- Piling rigs and digging equipment operating close to the existing station platform
- An increase in the number of light and heavy vehicles moving around the area, particularly near the station
- Low levels of dust are expected to be generated. Where necessary, water carts will be used for dust suppression.
- No impacts to existing services to your property are expected.
All planned works are dependent on suitable weather and ground conditions. We will notify residents and businesses if there are any significant changes to the program.