Ballan Station and passing loop works
We are upgrading Ballan Station as well as building a new passing loop generally to the south of the existing rail line between Ingliston Road and Old Melbourne Road.
A construction site has been established on the north side of the station precinct. These works will involve temporary disruptions to car parking and pedestrian access.
The centrally located work compound in the existing car park, includes:
- Site shed, first aid room and toilets for construction staff
- Construction car parking
- Fencing to separate work zones from the platform and other public areas.
This compound is in addition to the main compound site fenced on the south-side of the rail line at the east-end of the station.
Car parking and access changes
A small number of car parks on the north side will be closed off to the public while the station upgrade works are undertaken.
Pedestrian detours will be in place with access to the platform maintained near and through the station building.
The access via the covered walkway will be closed during construction.
To minimise disruption to commuters, we will provide:
- Accessible parking to the west side of the station building
- Alternative car parking spaces west of the station, on the corner of Cowie Street and Atkinson Street
- Way-finding signage and a temporary footpath to assist people to navigate around the compound.
Pedestrian and car parking arrangements will change throughout the life of the station upgrade. There will be no reduction in car parking spaces due to these changes.
Closure of Stead Street
Stead Street will be closed at times between Atkinson Street and Walsh Street. Detours will be in place.
Changed traffic conditions and reduced speed limits around level crossings
Some work activities require traffic management changes, including temporary speed and lane reductions at and around the following locations:
- Ballan Station
- Ingliston Road level crossing
- Windle Street level crossing
- Cowie Street level crossing
- Old Geelong Road level crossing
- Geelong – Ballan Road level crossing.
Traffic management may be used to control and direct traffic and pedestrians around work sites. For your safety please obey directions and any signage at or near work areas.
Track machines and test trains will continue to run along the rail tracks during the line closure, so always obey the warning signs at level crossings and take care around trains.
Where possible we will minimise disruption to local residents in the following ways:
- Using broadband reversing alarms on mobile machinery that are quieter than reversing ‘beepers’
- Using noise-reduced plant and equipment
- Scheduling noisy works during normal working hours where possible.
- We will notify residents and businesses if there are any significant changes to the program.
- All planned works are dependent on suitable weather and ground conditions.
All planned works are dependent on suitable weather and ground conditions. We will notify residents and businesses if there are any significant changes to the program.