Works are underway for the Ballarat Line Upgrade:
During March, the following works will be undertaken in this area:
- Locating underground services and undertaking soil sampling
- Utility relocation works to install conduits so vital rail signalling services remain operational throughout our works
- Earthworks for the new stabling facilities
A site compound will be established within our working area adjacent to Kerrs Road. This compound will be used to support the upcoming works in the area, and will contain site offices, amenities, construction materials, machinery and equipment.
What we are doing
Geotechnical investigations will help us to gain a greater understanding of local ground conditions. This involves ground drilling using small truck mounted or tracked drilling rigs and excavators to obtain rock and soil samples.
Locating underground services
Using non-destructive digging techniques such as high-pressure water and vacuum to safely remove soil that is found around underground services, or using CCTV cameras to determine their internal condition.
Installing conduits within the rail corridor to ensure vital rail signalling services remain operational during rail duplication.
Access track improvements
This enables workers and equipment to move freely along the rail corridor.
For rail track formation in areas where safety fencing has been installed.
To be installed at Rockbank station and Melton station.
Gate and sign installation
For the safety of workers at level crossings
Removing low value trees and shrubs. No significant trees will be removed for the above works.
For rail duplication designs.
What to be aware of
- Trucks, light vehicles, machinery and workers near level crossings and within the rail corridor.
- Low levels of dust and noise are expected to be generated while the geotechnical testing, non-destructive digging and earthworks are taking place. Where necessary, water carts will be used to minimise dust.
- Access to residences and businesses will be maintained at all times.
- Access for pedestrians and vehicles across public paths and open space will be maintained at all times.
- No impacts to existing services to your property are expected.
- Traffic management will be used to direct traffic and pedestrians safely around the work sites. Please obey any signage on site.
- All works are subject to approvals and we will notify residents and businesses if there are any significant changes to the program.
- These works will require traffic management changes, including temporary speed reductions and lane reductions at the following locations:
- Hopkins Road level crossing
- Troups Road North level crossing
- Leakes Road level crossing
- Paynes Road level crossing
- Mount Cottrell Road level crossing
- Ferris Road level crossing
- Creek Street and Brooklyn Road
- Exford Road level crossing
- Temporary changes to parking in Rockbank throughout February ahead of major changes to parking in March as part of the station upgrade.
- Other local roads may be impacted by the works, and traffic controllers may be required during working hours adjacent to working areas.
- Where applicable, the works will be scheduled outside of peak travel times to minimise the impacts to road users.
Works will be carried out during normal working hours: 7am – 6pm, Monday to Saturday.
We are currently conducting geotechnical, ecological and noise investigations along the rail corridor. These investigations will not disrupt services.
Around 350 geotechnical investigations have been completed along the rail line. The investigations include nearly 90 boreholes and test pits to gather soil and rock samples.
These samples will provide valuable information about the ground conditions in the area and inform the design and construction of the project.
Further site investigations including geotechnical drilling, service locating and ecological assessments will inform the project's detailed design.
For a list of work that has been finished, visit our completed works page.